E-mail comments/suggestions/funny stories to the7dayweekendguys@gmail.com

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

What A Cannon


Mat Latos, pitcher for the San Diego Padres was shagging fly balls in the outfield during Padres batting practice yesterday when he went to toss a ball to some fans, and accidentally tossed in out of AT&T Park. First of all, that's an absolute bomb over the Coke Bottle Slide and Giant Glove in left field. Secondly, that ball will now cost him $1,200 in damages to the sunroof of Giants' announcer Dave Flemming's car.

The ball apparently flew over the fans' heads, bounced off the concourse, and straight into a parking lot. The more ridiculous part of the story is that, beat writer for the San Jose Mercury News, Andrew Baggarly, reported that Latos intentionally threw the ball out of the park.

"If I get [a bill], I'll be glad to write a check. And I'll be sure to write [Flemming] a note, too, let him know I did not do it intentionally. San Francisco fans, I think that's kind of a personal attack towards me just because of the rivalry."

An even better quote?

"You know what? You can think whatever you want. You're not going to bother me. If you want to say I threw it 501 feet like somebody said, and I threw it over a [giant] Coke bottle [beyond the left-field seats], hey, I'll take it. It means I threw a ball 501 feet. How many people you know who can throw a ball 501 feet? They can think whatever they want, I don't care. I didn't do it intentionally."

No comments:

Post a Comment